Oklahoma City University, B.A., Philosophy
Duke University, M.Div. (Master of Divinity), Chaplaincy
Union Institute and University, Ph.D., Psychology
The Pastoral Counseling Service, Washington, D.C.
Eastpoint Medical Center, Baltimore, Maryland
The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, Maryland
“Counseling the Grieving Person.” Pastoral Counseling, Ed. Estadt and Compton. New Jersey: Prentice-Hall, Inc., 1983. Second Edition, 1991. 224-242.
Living Through Personal Crisis. Chicago: Thomas More Press, 1984. (Twelve printings).
New York: Ballantine Books, 1985. (Thirteen printings) Also in audiocassette, Braille, and Recordings for the Blind. British editions published in 1987 and 1988. Spanish edition in 1989. Portuguese in 1990. German in 1991. Italian in 1992. Chinese in 1993. Washington State: Idyll Arbor, Inc., new edition in 2010.
Coming Back - Rebuilding Lives After Crisis and Loss. New York: Random House, 1988. New York: Ballantine Books,, 1989. British editions published in 1989 and 1991.
Living Through Job Loss - Coping With the Emotional Effects of Job Loss and Rebuilding Your Future. New York: Simon & Schuster, 1995.
“Trauma Aftermath – Who is Really at Risk?” Maryland Psychologist. September/ October 2003.
“Resilience in the Aftermath of Adverse or Traumatic Events.” Maryland Psychologist. January/February 2004.
“Resilience in the Aftermath of a Traumatic Brain Injury.” Maryland Psychologist. January/February 2009.
“Surviving Job Loss or Financial Crisis.” Link. Summer/Fall, 2009.
“Living Through Personal Crisis,” DVD filmed by Detroit Public Television, 2010.
Redefining Aging - A Caregiver's Guide to Living Your Best Life. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, November 2017.
“Stereotype Threat:What Kind of an 'Old Person' Will I/Will You Become?” Maryland Psychologist. January 2018.
Author’s Guild of America
American Psychological Association
Maryland Psychological Association, Fellow
American Association of Pastoral Counselors
- Community Service Award, The United Way, 1981
- Distinguished Alumna Award, Oklahoma City University, 1985
- Pastoral Care and Counseling Faculty Award, Loyola College, 1985
- Woman of Excellence Award, National Association of Women
- Business Owners, Baltimore Regional Chapter, 1988
- Compassionate Friends Service Award, 1992 and 2003
- Woman of Excellence Citation, Women Legislators of Maryland, 1997
- Who’s Who Among America’s Teachers, 1996, 2002, 2005
- Excellence in Teaching Award, Johns Hopkins University, 2004
- Maryland Psychological Association Teacher of the Year Award, 2004
- Baltimore County Police, 22 Certificates of Appreciation, 1999-2009
- Excellence in Education Outstanding College Educator Award, Chesapeake Chamber of Commerce 2018
Maryland General Assembly Official Citation: “Sincerest congratulations are offered to Ann Kaiser Stearns in recognition of your continuing efforts to help those who are coping with loss. Your enduring message of inspiration encourages others to overcome their pain and suffering.” Presented on June 14, 2010.